Home improvement is the process of renovating or making additions to the existing décor and interior of one’s home. Home improvement can also include updating the existing exterior of the house which include plumbing, masonry, concrete, roofing and sliding) and gardening.
There are different types of home improvement such as the ones listed below.
- Comfort- This includes upgrading of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems; upgrading the amenities in bathroom or kitchen such as adding a hot tub or getting a modular kitchen is an example. Comfort improvement can also be done by waterproofing basements or soundproofing rooms.
- Maintenance and repair- These projects include roof fixing or replacement, change or repair of windows, concrete repairs for strengthening of basement and chimney, repainting walls, repairing or repainting fences and repairing or making changes in plumbing and electrical systems
- Additional space- Making additional space in your house is also a project under home improvement. This involves turning marginal areas such as the attic or basement or the garage into a living space. These are usually converted into recrooms, home offices, home theatres or extra bedrooms.
- Energy efficiency changes- Making changes in the house such as installing solar panels, thermal insulation replacement windows and energy efficient lighting is home improvement. Installing biomass pellet stoves, wood boring stoves, wind turbines, programmable thermostats and geothermal exchange heat pumps make the house more energy efficient.
- Safety improvement- This involves the upgrading of fire and anti-theft systems, adding fire sprinklers for fire safety, adding safer doors, windows and shutters; improving cellars and basements for protection from earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes and other natural disasters; back-up inverter or generator for power back.
The home improvement industry is a fast growing industry with around $48 billion turnover in Canada and $300 billion in the US. The career of interior designing or professional home improvement has seen a massive rise in the last 30 years.
The latest trends in home improvement are –
- Maintenance free siding- Houses owners now-a-days are choosing materials which require less maintenance and have higher longevity. For this fiber-cement is used which is made from a combination of cement, sand, and cellulosic fibers.
- Convertible spaces- People have resorted to converting extra spaces in their houses in to living spaces such as turning attics into extra bedroom, garages and basements in to recrooms or home theatres, etc.
- Adding a laundry room- Folks these days have resorted to changing an extra closet or room in to a laundry room which is big enough to hold a dryer, washer and the clothes.
- Storage- More people are opting to make extra spaces such as the area beneath the stairs or a part of the garage, beneath the beds or the floors into storage spaces as built-in storage.